More than 21 million people in the United States are living with a substance use disorder – including 15 million with an alcohol use disorder, two million with an opioid use disorder, and three million with a prescription drug use disorder. Of course, those numbers are likely higher. For many, holistic treatment for drug addiction can be highly beneficial.
While drug addiction and substance abuse are highly treatable conditions – given an optimal environment to recover in – only about 10% of those that need it either deny or avoid treatment. It’s a devastating statistic, considering the many dangers and risks that come with drug use.
In the modern day of science and medicine, researchers are always on the lookout for new and emerging methods for addiction recovery. Anything that can increase the success rate and reduce the relapse rate in patients recovering from addiction has to be considered an option.
Contact Calusa Recovery to learn more about our Florida addiction treatment programs.
What is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
One word that’s gaining a lot of traction in the addiction recovery space is ‘holistic.’ While traditional medicine relies on treating the symptoms, holistic medicine relies on finding the root cause of the issue and taking into account all the social and personal factors of the condition.
Holistic treatment for drug addiction is an umbrella term for any addiction program that takes a whole-body approach – mentally, spiritually, physically, socially, emotionally, and behaviorally. It’s not just about overcoming the addiction, but optimizing the individual’s health long-term.
And while many people believe holistic treatment is replacing traditional treatment, it couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, holistic treatment for substance abuse is almost exclusively used in conjunction with more traditional methods – such as therapy, medication, and detoxification.
What Are Examples of Holistic Treatment?
There’s no shortage of unique examples of holistic substance abuse treatment. With new methods, practices, and techniques being added to the mix every year, there’s a tailored treatment program out there for everyone – though it may take time to find the right one for you.
With that said, most examples of holistic treatment for addiction can be grouped into five unique categories – diet and nutrition, exercise and physical activity, massage and acupuncture, meditation and mindfulness, and art and music. Let’s take a closer look at each individual one.
- Diet & Nutrition – changes to one’s diet and nutritional habits; eating a healthy and well-balanced diet; taking necessary supplements
- Exercise & Physical Activity – regular exercise routine and/or physical activity, including hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, jogging, and dancing
- Massage & Acupuncture – deep tissue massage, acupuncture, reflexology, hydrotherapy, and more can help relieve stress and stimulate certain body systems
- Meditation & Mindfulness – yoga, Tai Chi, Reiki, Shamanic healing, aromatherapy, Kirtan, breathwork, hypnotherapy, and more help promote mindfulness and relieve stress
- Art & Music – art therapy and music therapy can help some people cope with withdrawal symptoms and improve the recovery process
Since everyone has a different experience with addiction, they often require a unique treatment program that’s personalized and tailored to meet their individual needs. With that said, just because a treatment works for one patient doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll work for every patient.
What Are the Benefits of Holistic Treatment for Drug Addiction?
The primary objectives behind holistic treatment for substance abuse are to identify the underlying cause of the addiction, reduce temptations and cravings, promote physical health and wellness, increase self-confidence and self-esteem, and reduce the rate of relapse.
Here are some of the other benefits of holistic substance abuse treatment:
- Patients develop a deeper understanding of themselves
- Patients learn how to cope with their withdrawal symptoms
- Patients can optimize their lifestyle to promote health and wellness
- Patients receive individualized, tailored treatment specified to their needs
- Increased chance of recovery, reduced chance of relapse
- Relieve stress and anxiety; improve mood and overall outlook on life
When combined with an initial detox, followed by medication, therapy, counseling, 12-step programs, lifestyle changes, and behavioral changes, holistic treatment for addiction can help ignite the recovery process and sustain sobriety – it could be the missing piece in treatment!
How to Find Holistic Treatment in Fort Myers, FL
Are you looking for alternative treatments for drug addiction or substance abuse? Do you feel like holistic treatment for drug addiction is best suited for you? Are you interested in learning more about what’s included in holistic treatment? If you answered ‘yes,’ then we can help!
At Calusa Recovery, we take great pride in helping struggling individuals regain control of their sense of purpose in life. We help our patients see through the pain and suffering, giving them an opportunity to choose a better outcome. To learn more about our Fort Myers drug and alcohol rehab center, contact us right away!